Sunday, November 4th is that time of year … time to change our clocks back one hour and change the batteries in our smoke detectors.
Having working smoke detectors cannot be stressed enough. Smoke detectors simply save lives. We have recently witnessed their live saving effects in our own community. The fire department recommends having at least one working smoke detector on each level of your home and one in each bedroom and hallway. Interconnected detectors, either hard wired or wireless, give residents the earliest warning of an impending fire.
With the approach of colder weather, now is also the time to have your heating system checked by a qualified technician. Having your system checked now can help prevent future fire hazards involving furnaces. With colder weather, some may utilize portable electric “space” heaters or kerosene heaters. While these heaters have their place, it is very important to use extra caution when using such heaters. Do not place portable heaters close to any combustible material and educate children about placing toys and other items close to portable heaters. Do not use portable heaters when they are going to be left unattended or when you are asleep. These heaters are best used as temporary heat when they can be monitored by an adult. Anytime a natural gas, propane or kerosene heater or furnace is used, your home should also be equipped with a working CO detector. CO, or carbon monoxide, is known as the “Silent Killer”, it is a tasteless, scentless, invisible gas that can occur in any home at any time.
Carbon Monoxide detectors, just like smoke detectors, are a small price to pay for something that could very well save your life, or the life of a family member.
Keith A. Elliott,
Gallipolis Fire Chief