GALLIPOLIS — On Monday, October 8, at 12:50 a.m., Gallipolis Firefighters responded to a house fire at 4907 Bulaville Pike, in Addison Township. Fire crews were on scene within minutes of the call, made entry and quickly extinguished the fire.
The local couple had been in bed asleep in their two story home but were awakened by the sound of their smoke detectors. In checking, they found smoke coming from their utility room but were forced to evacuate and call the fire department.
“Thanks to early detection of the fire by working smoke detectors and a rapid response from the fire department, the damaged caused by the fire was very minimal and everyone was able to escape unharmed,” said Gallipolis Fire Chief Keith Elliott. “This family responded perfectly to the fire.
“They recognized the importance of having working smoke detectors, responded to the sound of the alarm, got out of the home and called 9-1-1. That is exactly what the fire service has been teaching children and families to do for years. Without working smoke detectors, I am afraid the outcome of this fire could have been drastically different,” Elliott added.
October 7 to October 14 is Fire Prevention Week — a time to bring attention to fire safety. Fire Prevention Week began as a reminder of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, which burned from October 8 to October 10 and killed at least 300 people and destroyed hundreds of buildings.
“During Fire Prevention Week, the Gallipolis Fire Department asks all residents to please make sure you have at least one working smoke detector on each level of your home,” said Elliott. “The fire department recommends that in addition to one detector on each floor, you should have one detector in every bedroom and hallway. Have a Fire Escape Plan, and practice your plan. Have a designated meeting place outside and in case of a fire, ‘Get Out and Stay Out to Survive’, then call 9-1-1 from a neighbor’s house.”